Saturday, June 30, 2007

Da-da-da-dum, da-da-da-dum....

Maybe it's a sign of stress or impending madness (it's been one of those weeks), maybe Rusty Davies has me in the grip of some kind of mind control voodoo, or maybe it's all true and the Master really is in the process of enslaving us all, but over the past week I've kept finding myself tapping out that rhythm. When I was a small lad, Doctor Who was my passion and obsession. It broke my heart to see its decline during the 80s, and I was overjoyed when it came back and made such a success of itself. It's not perfect (the Doctor needs to stop saying sorry and STOP SHOUTING, for a start), but it's still the best thing on telly by miles. Bar a mid-season wobble (that disappointing Dalek story) this has been the best series yet of the reconstituted Who, and I can only hope, as I wait to find out just how he'll get out of this one, and anticipate a return to the unwatchable any-of-big-brother's-x-factor-grease-idol-will-do type rubbish that will undoubtedly swamp the schedules from hereon, that all those rumours that the BBC might actually be stupid enough to cancel it when RTD & co move on (after series 4, allegedly) are the utter nonsense that they must surely be.

da-da-da-dum, da-da-da-dum...

11 comments:

Cheerful One said...

When I was a small lad, Doctor Who was my passion and obsession

What changed? ;)

Rhina B. said...

Yessss, is it finally Saturday!? I hear that beat, too, and it's getting louder. :o)

Rhina B. said...

Was that absolutely amazing or what!?!? Bittersweet, though. Nothing to look forward to until Christmas!

Hope you enjoyed it...!

petemaskreplica said...

It's strange, there's so much I ought to find wrong about it (all that godlike Doctor/ Deus ex machina stuff that Rusty Davies is a bit too keen on for my liking, for instance), but I thoroughly enjoyed it all the same.
Apparently there's a press release concerning Martha/Freema coming out on Monday. She'll be back, you mark my words.

Obviously the Master will return. Liked the Flash Gordon reference at the end :)

Jen said...

Surely it's: duh-duh-dum, duh-duh-dum

petemaskreplica said...

no, it's definitely da-da-da-dum. I've got a music degree, I know about this sort of thing ;)

Rhina B. said...

Yeah I know it was a bit heavy-handed but you couldn't help getting wrapped up in it (least I couldn't). So did you guess right about who the little metal spheres were?

What about that stuff about Captain Jack being the Face of Bo?! The interconnectedness is just beautiful...

Sorry, am I increasing the geek quotient of your comments box again? :o)

petemaskreplica said...

Geekiness is in the eye of the beholder ;)

Jack being the Face of Boe (maybe) damn near made my head explode.

I thought the Toclafane would either be humans or timelords, so I shall declare this a predicting success for me, in spite of the lack of any evidence to support my self-aggrandising.

Rhina B. said...

(I always had a secret crush on that Face guy. He was so wise...)

I had thought about them being Timelords but humans never crossed my mind, so I'm glad you didn't tell me in advance!

Cheerful One said...

I still think Cpn Jack looked like Rosie the Riveter....

petemaskreplica said...

Cheerful: Ha! :)

Rhina: You must feel devastated to discover Boe's gay, then ;)
(Although Rusty D has apparently said that he put that in as an interesting idea rather than a definitive answer to the Face's identity, so they may yet pull the rug from under us again.)

I see Martha's being sent to Torchwood. Poor girl, what on earth has she done to deserve that?