Friday, June 22, 2007

A word from our sponsor

While I'm in plugging mode, if you're in London on Tuesday why not pop along to Kensington Symphony Orchestra's last concert before the summer? There's some Dvorak, the London premiere of a piece by the excellent John Woolrich, and Sibelius's 5th Symphony, which if you grew up in the 80s you'll recognise as the main riff from "Since Yesterday" by Strawberry Switchblade.

Tickets are 12 quid (£9 concessions), and it promises to be an excellent evening.
It all starts at 7.30pm, Tuesday June 26th, at St. John's, Smith Square.

6 comments:

Lucia said...

hey that reminds me I need to get my ticket from you...

Anonymous said...

I own the 1997 Japanese reissue of Strawberry Switchblade's cd since I was struck by the strange 'Since Yesterday' video way back in the 80's when I was too young to long for yesterday however I admit I ignored the fact that the track's opening fanfare came from from Sibelius n5...I now really want to listen to this Symphony! I have always liked Dvorak (was listening to his Stabat Mater earlier). Wonder what Woolrich is like as I have never heard of him. Something old, something new, something borrowed...sounds like it's going to be a very interesting evening!!!

petemaskreplica said...

I could offer many reference points for John's music, but if you imagine a cross between Stravinsky and Frank Zappa you'll be in the right area. I think he's one of the best composers in the country right now.

This particular piece is especially Zappa-ish, so all Frank afficionados should definitely try and get to this gig :)

Cheerful One said...

bugger

petemaskreplica said...

Well, there's always next time ;)

Anonymous said...

sounds great!...I love the unusual contemporary classical genre..