Monday, January 22, 2007

Man-flu and cake

The trouble with illness is that it gives you time off work to do all the things that you never get done, but robs you of the ability to do these things. So I find myself here, struggling to get my head around the fairly simple concept of drawing a new Big Dog cartoon, and feeling vaguely disoriented from lack of sleep and the Man-Flu (which is, of course, very different from a plain old cold). The situation is relieved by the fact that one of the last things I did last night before I succumbed to the lurgy was bake a cake, so I can now test the cold-fighting properties of my Genius Banana Cake. I know that cake is not a subject that normally comes up here, but it's never too far from my heart, and so in a spirit of generosity, I give you the recipe. this cake is the product of many hours intensive research, is a handy way to use up all those over-ripe bananas sitting in your fruit bowl*, and is widely acknowledged to be in the forefront of cakes. If enough of us bake it, it may even End War and Unite all Nations in Peace and Hope.**

2-3 bananas
9oz. self-raising flour
4 oz. brown sugar
4 oz. butter
2 eggs
2 dessert spoons golden syrup
nutmeg & cinnamon, to taste

Mash up the bananas. Cream the butter and sugar together***. Mix the two sludges together with the eggs and syrup. Add spices to taste, then mix in the flour. Pour the resulting goo into a greased cake or loaf tin, and bake at gas mark4/ 180° for about 40 minutes, or until done. Check with a knife or skewer, and turn onto a rack to cool. Although it's rather nice warm, too.

On a completely unrelated note, may I also commend to you Rachel Mayfield, whose album you should buy, because it's good.


*N.B. I'm aware this is a problem only suffered by sad live-alone types like me.
** N.B. this is a wild assertion, unverified by any fact.
***If you have a food processor, you can just bung everything in and whizz it round until it congeals.

4 comments:

Cheerful One said...

1. I am just about to start posting cake recipes (and was indeed considering asking for this one) but you have gazumped me. I am shocked! And stunned!

2. I have over-ripe bananas in my fruit bowl and live alone but I'm not sad (honest).

3. There isn't really a number three but a list of two looks stupid.

petemaskreplica said...

1. I do of course bow to your superior wisdom in the field of cakes, and would recommend anyone interested in the subject (and who isn't?) to toddle over to Cheerful's blog, where much fine cakery will be found. 2. The Sad Live-Alone Type Index is calibrated to boys, hence the apparent anomaly. Being a Girl makes you not subject to the criterion in question. 3. Yes, it does, doesn't it?

Cheerful One said...

4. Have you tried it with cheese? Trust me on this one. Although admittedly I can think of few things that don't go with cheese.

5. I hope you feel better soon.

6. Number three was unnecessary really, wasn't it?

petemaskreplica said...

3 was very necessary. You can hardly go "1,2,4,5,6", can you? It would be an offence against God and Nature.