Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Basquiat Strings with Seb Rochford

I've had a vague desire for a long time to be Miles Davis, or maybe John Coltrane, although apparently not a strong enough desire to get up off my arse and actually learn the trumpet or sax. The cello always seemed, well, just not a jazz instrument, really (I did contemplate trading up to the bass, but have you seen the size of those things?). I did see someone playing jazz cello once, but it didn't really convince me. So it's very gratifying to hear this splendid album by Basquiat Strings, an ensemble led by cellist Ben Davis and allied to the F-IRE collective, and hear just what I could have done if I'd had the imagination.

Davis studied with Miles Davis alumnus Dave Holland, and the album's very much in that sort of vein (there's even a version of "In a Silent Way". It's also rather slinky in its rhythms, in a way that brings Piazzolla to mind. If you've heard any of the other bands in F-IRE (Polar Bear, Acoustic Ladyland, etc) and enjoyed them, you should enjoy this, so stop dawdling and buy it.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Basquiat Strings are playing at the QEH foyer for free sometime soon, June I think (I'll check on Monday).

And if you really want to learn sax I can always teach you the basics.

petemaskreplica said...

Heh, I might take you up on that... :)

Erin said...

Sure, any time. Buy a used sax, but a new mouthpiece. A jazz mouthpiece. They're different.

And I broke *two* Larsen strings. *sigh*.