Remember that bit in Rocky where he's doing his training by punching a hung slab of meat? Well, you lucky people, you can now recreate that seminal scene in your own home with this fantastic new action figure. No, really.
Also, I was bemused by the list of books we haven't finished. I mean, I'll 'fess up to not finishing Ulysses (although I shall one day, oh yes), but what's so difficult about Vernon God Little? I remember it being an easy read. Are we becoming so dumb? Judging by this story, HMV seems to think we are.
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
The mind boggles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
I didn't finish Vernon God Little. It had nothing to do with the difficulty of the language and everything to do with the fact that I read about three chapters and could find no-one in the story I needed to know anything more about :)
I'm shocked Cloud Atlas was in the list, I loved that book and had no problem with it.
Christopher said Vernon God Little was just really mind-numbingly depressing, and the thought of reading a whole book of very depressing things was not that appetising. I think it might be different if you grew up in a small town in North America (which we both did), as in you know that kind of atmosphere way too well to want to read a story about it. Then again, he did actually finish the thing.
I haven't even managed to start Cloud Atlas yet. I keep pulling it off the bookshelf, reading the blurb and putting it back again...
Mind you, I am always abandoning books half way through. This has something to do with my habit of starting more than one at a time, and something to do with a conviction that it's my spare time, my pleasure in reading and if I don't want to finish it then I don't bloody have to :)
This reminds me of the Rights of the Reader :)
Hah, I like that :)
Post a Comment