Sunday, July 01, 2007

What is this toss?

The literal answer is that this toss is the pilot for a resurrection of ancient telly music quiz Face The Music on BBC4, but the literal answer doesn't really answer the question, what is this toss?

You might be able to find it on the BBC's spanking new i-player, but I really wouldn't recommend it, as it really is shockingly poor and shows just how little anyone in television understands music. John Sergeant, who used to be so authoritative as a political corespondent, has a ponderous, pedantic delivery, his guests all look thoroughly uncomfortable, and the whole thing has an insipid, simpering air that I find utterly repellent. It makes Classic FM look like Hans Keller. Who commissioned this rubbish? If I knew nothing of classical music, I'd think, what a bunch of smarmy tossers. Knowing about it, I find it patronising, unintelligent and embarrassing. Oh, and I still think, what a bunch of smarmy tossers. It sets the cause of classical music back about 50 years.

3 comments:

petemaskreplica said...

Toss update: I watched a documentary about Joyce Grenfell earlier which featured clips of her on the old Face the Music series, and it was charming and funny, which I guess shows that the format could work if you had the right mix of celebs who both knew their stuff and knew how to entertain.

Cheerful One said...

I bet they weren't made to sit on 'casual' sofas, like patients in a dental surgery, either...

And John Sergant: Oh, dear.

petemaskreplica said...

Certainly not! They sat on sensible chairs.