Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What are we here for?

When I started this, I had no real idea where it was going or what it was really intended to achieve, and as time goes by I feel increasingly that I don't really want to reach a definitive answer to those questions. But it occurred to me the other day, as I looked through a few old entries here and they sparked new ideas that might break the deadlock that's stalled a cherished project for a long time, that at least partly what this is is a place for ideas with no home. It's not exactly pieces - they're frequently too brief and unpolished for that - but I can't think of it as exactly sketches either, as that implies (to me, anyway) that they're intended as preparations for some greater plan (and I've written plenty of sketches at least as substantial as anything I've posted here that haven't appeared here as they're specifically intended as work towards a specific goal) . As it is, they sit here, awaiting their moment when light shines on them and their purpose becomes clear.

2 comments:

erin said...

Do you have an instrument in mind when you write these non-sketches? I was just trying to figure out your little musical moment there and I didn't know what to make of it, or how to read it.

petemaskreplica said...

I guess my default setting on these tends to be piano, although I hope they're generally vague enough to be adapted to any instrument in some way. Although sometimes I have a cello in mind. But they're intended to be fairly abstract on the whole.